Friday 13 April 2007

perchance to dream ...

I had one of those technicolour dreams last night; not being one to remember dreams, I need to note it before it fades.

There was this 'Sangoma' - an African word for the spiritual one in the village (ignorant white man calls them a witch doctor) - she was fashioned upon an ancient African Gogo - a great grand aunt, a few times removed who lived on my dad's farm.
Gogo practiced her craft in a cubicle in a popular public toilet. One of her divining tools was this very ornate antique Victorian china chamber potty. Business was going well, but she was old and about to die soon.
My friend in this dream (who was fashioned upon an old friend Maria who was neurotic, psychotic, alcoholic, kleptomaniac, compulsive liar, but a really lovely person otherwise) was the niece of Gogo and the only living heir to inherit the special spiritual powers and be the new Sangoma once Gogo dies. She was concerned that she wouldn't live up to the expectations of the village and asked for my help to be her manager - nae bother!
Then Gogo died and Maria got the potty - but in the confusion of the funeral and all, the potty crashed and shattered into 1000's of pieces. I was charged with piecing and gluing the potty together (this is one of those dreams that go on forever with a single task). Not getting the task done, I say to Maria - Why don't you say to the villagers that on the night of your 'transformation' - the same night of the storm, as you were sitting on the potty a bolt of lightening struck you and the potty while the spirits were zapping the powers into you. Say that the potty shattered as a sure sign of the 'power'.
The village was sold on the idea and business was great. Being the manager, I was coordinating appointments (still in the public toilets mind!) and collecting the cash - this was a lucrative affair!
Then the church got involved, saying that we were getting involved with the evil occult. I was the pacifier showing that the powers were direct from the Universal Life Energy Source - and were real and good and invited them to a few sessions.

Then I woke - and here it is on blog!

2 comments:

Petink said...

Lovely. Wish I could dream so richly. I'm in for any religion or thought that has a potty as it's symbol.

David M N Bate said...

Wow Sweetheart. What a beautiful story, dream or no dream. I think it would be lovely if you wrote the rest of it; I'd like to know what happens.